Bill Cosby and Alvin F. Poussaint’s new book is out, Come On People: On the Path from Victims to Victors. How will it impact the African American internal discussion regarding our cultural health and 21st century effectiveness?
I think it is a helpful book and point of view, that makes a positive contribution to the conversation and related action steps. However, we must keep in mind that Bill and Al’s view has important but limited value with respect to AA CulturaGraphic progress toward maximized Cultural Health.
Lets take a minute to come up to speed on CultureGraphics as it relates to melanin folks.
CultureGraphics 101 -The Soldier, Citizen, Giant Outline
3. Cultural Soldiers: Are actively promoting the resurrection and restoration of Classical African Civilization in the minds of men.
- Cultural Soldiers come from and have the positive Black attributes of Cultural Citizens.
- You will find CAC objects in their living space. They sometimes wear CAC objects
- Examples: Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Amen - Wesley Snipes and Erykah Badu
2. Cultural Citizens: Interested in promotion of self, family and their ethnic group
- They are Black and proud. They may or may not know about CAC.
- Mild levels of Cultural Poisoning can sometimes be observed.
- Examples: Dr. Martin Luther King, Dr. Bill Cosby and Oprah Winfrey
1. Sleeping Giants: Interested mostly in self-satisfaction (economic, sexual, etc.)
- They are Spiritual and mental prisoners of another ethnic group
- No African objects are likely to be found in their home or on their person
- High degree of Cultural Poisoning can be detected.
Examples: Judge Clarence Thomas, 50 cent and Michael Jackson
I grew up watching the Cosby Show and Archie Bunker, Bill, was no Archie Bunker. He was also no Malcolm X and Dr. Al, the psychological consultant for the Cosby Show, was no Dr. Clarke or Dr. Nobles. Both shows demonstrated different aspects of Cultural Poisoning Mr. Bunker modeling a rather acute case, lol.
Black TV shows from Amos and Andy to Bill Cosby, all exhibited varying degrees of Cultural Poisoning. In a historical sea of negative Black TV shows, The Cosby Show was a breath of fresh air. It became the TV model for much of what we see today as the new African American middle class. The show should also be considered the poster child for middle class African American Cultural Citizen environmental motif and behavior.
Bill and Al did a good job as Cultural Citizens given their perceivable cosmological range. It is my considered opinion that Come on People is a solid brick on the road to building a bridge from SleepingGiant Hood to CulturalCitizen Hood. However, this is not the only bridge needed to maximize Cultural Health in the African American community. What do you think?
Links for more information:
PreciousKnowledge expressed her point of view in video, a must see!
Come On People, What are people who have bought the book saying?, click here.
To watch the MSNBC Meet The Press Cosby Video, click here.
For more polls, click here.