he Co-Chairs of the president’s Deficit Commission have proposed deep cuts to Social Security under the guise of reducing the budget deficit. They want to cut benefits for middle-class workers and reduce annual Cost of Living Adjustments. On top of that, they want to increase the retirement age to 69.We must stop them!Tuesday, November 30, is the National Call-In Day to say “No!” to Social Security and Medicare benefit cuts. We need every person to call their senators and representative and demand that they keep Social Security intact. Nothing can happen to Social Security unless Congress lets it.Call the Capitol Switchboard at
(800) 962-3524 or (202) 224-3121.When you call, tell them:
- Cutting Social Security will not reduce the budget deficit: Social Security is funded separately, from employee contributions. It is entirely self-sufficient—even at today’s retirement age and funding levels—until 2037.
- Americans are hurting right now: The only thing that these misbegotten changes to Social Security and Medicare will do is to harm its beneficiaries—the disabled, the retired, the middle class, and the poor.
- Every dollar paid out from Social Security goes right back into the economy. People who receive Social Security house, feed, and clothe themselves with the payments.
- Face the elephant in the room: Military spending must be cut. Progressives members will be in DC lobbying Congresscut military spending while the rest of the country makes calls on November 30.Let’s make this a call-in day that Congress will never forget.Peace,Tim Carpenter, PDA national director
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Call To Action: Save Social Security Nov 30th. Sign Petition
The Republicans on the Deficit committee want to cut Social Security tell them Hell NO!. November 30, today, Hit your representatives in congress hard, call, email, let them know "Hands off Social Security"!