Sunday, November 15, 2009

2009 Veterans Day, My Dad, Health Care and Me

Veterans day came this week and it reminded me of my dad and my time in the service. We both needed health care while serving and we got the best the Army had to offer. Shouldn't all citizens have access to quality health care?



My Dad on the left WWII and Aunk Vietnam


Did you know that most veterans don't get Veterans Administration health care unless they have a service related illness/injury or meet means test requirements? This means many "middle class" Vets don't have VA or any other health care. 25% of the nation's homeless are veterans. Somehow these realities don't seem to me like we are remembering our veterans like we should.

Health Care Reform just passed the House and is moving through the Senate, did you notice that there are no provisions in these bills for "no cost health care" for all veterans? It strikes me today, that on these days of remembrance, we can and should do more for our vets and their families.

Veterans day and Memoral day are both special to me. They are days to remember and honor our country's serving, served and fallen and our Culture's serving, served and fallen. On these days I especially remember my dad Marlin in World War II, and his fathers in World War Zero (WW0).

Every Holy Day (holiday) is a Cultural Literacy opportunity. To learn more about World War Zero, hit the link and tell me what you think. Newsvine - Memorial Day - My Dad and My Culture

If you are one of the 2+ Billion Black people in the world you should know about WW0. All human beings should know about all the major wars, for it is our best defense against having them happen again. If you are an African American in the military you have a duty to know about WW0, WWI and WWII, not just the last two.





No comments:

FB Tweet G+ Like Buttons